Reference: AM Abbosh, D James, DV Thiel, Compact UHF Antenna in Aquatic Environments for Mobile Sporting Applications, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Procedia Engineering, Volume 2, Issue 2, June 2010, Pages 3017–3022
Abstract: The use of mobile sensor platforms to monitor an athlete’s performance is well reported. Using wireless technology its now possible to broadcast, store and analyse this data in near real time. The athletic environment is considered electrically harsh and for aquatic sports there are considerable challenges for the wireless transmission of athlete data. This paper outlines some of the recent developments in radio based technologies. Power consumption, antenna design, frequency selection, communications protocols, product selection and human comfort, together with some examples are reported. A range of licence free frequencies were investigated in the air/water interface and the antennas characterised.
- N. Davey, M. Anderson, and D. James, "Validation trial of an accelerometer-based sensor platform for swimming," Sports Technology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 202-207, 2008.
- A. Wixted, D. Thiel, A. Hahn, C. Gore, D. Pyne, and D. James, "Measurement of Energy Expenditure in Elite Athletes using MEMS based inertial sensors," Journal IEEE Sensors, vol 7, no. 4, pp. 481-8, 2007.
- C. Balanis, Antenna theory; Analysis and design, 3rd Edition, John Wiley, 2005.
- D. Psychoudakis, C. Chen, and J. Volakis, "Optimizing wearable UHF antennas for on-body operation," IEEE APS, pp. 4184 - 4187, 2007.
- D. Casciola, G. Miers, and R. Surette, "UHF antenna choices," IEEE Trans. Broadcasting, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 93 - 105, 1999.
- R. Waterhouse, Printed Antennas for Wireless Communications, John Wiley, 2007.
- A. Abbosh, "Miniaturization of planar ultrawideband antenna via corrugation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 7, pp. 685 - 688, 2008.
- A. Abbosh, "Miniaturized microstrip-fed tapered-slot antenna with ultrawideband performance," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 8, pp. 690 - 692, 2009.