Reference: AJ Wixted, DV Thiel, AG Hahn, CJ Gore, DB Pyne, DA James, Measurement of Energy Expenditure in Elite Athletes using MEMS-based Triaxial Accelerometers, Sensors Journal, IEEE 7 (4), 481-488
Abstract: Fitness development and performance assessment of elite athletes requires an understanding of many physiological factors, many of these are direct and indirect measures of athlete energy expenditure. Many methods are physiological factor assessments and require the athlete to be constrained by laboratory equipment or periodic interruption of activity to take measurements such as blood samples are required to be taken. This paper presents a method that is entirely ambulatory and noninvasive, using microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) accelerometers. The commonly used output of commercial accelerometer-based devices (known as "counts") cannot discriminate activity intensity for the activities of interest. This, in conjunction with variability in output from different systems and lack of commonality across manufacturers, limits the usefulness of commercial devices. This paper identifies anthropometric and kinematic sources of inter-athlete variability in accelerometer output, leading to an alternate energy expenditure estimator based mainly on step frequency modified by anthropometric measures. This energy expenditure estimator is more robust and not influenced by many sources of variability that affect the currently used estimator. In this system, low-power signal processing was implemented to extract both the energy estimator and other information of physiological and statistical interest.
- H. J. Montoye , H. C. G. Kemper , W. H. M. Saris and R. A. Washburn Measuring Physical Activity and Energy Expenditure, p.34 , 1996. :Human Kinetics
- B. E. Ainsworth "Compendium of physical activities: Classification of energy costs of human physical activities", Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., vol. 25, p.71 , 1993.
- J. E. Coates and F. Meade "The energy expenditure and mechanical energy demand in walking", Ergonomics, vol. 36, p.97 , 1960.
- J. B. Reswick , J. Perry and D. Antonelli "Preliminary evaluation of the vertical acceleration gait analyser (VAGA)", Proc. 6th Annu. Symp. External Control Human Extremities, p.305 , 1978.
- H. J. Montoye "Estimation of energy expenditure by a portable accelerometer", Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., vol. 15, p.403 , 1983.
- G. A. King , N. Torres , C. Potter , T. J. Brooks and K. J. Coleman "Comparison of activity monitors to estimate energy cost of treadmill exercise", Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., vol. 36, p.1244 , 2004.
- A. Yngve , A. Nilsson , M. Sjostrom and U. Ekelund "Effect of monitor placement and of activity setting on the MTI accelerometer output", Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., vol. 35, p.320 , 2003.
- S. M. Powell , D. I. Jones and A. V. Rowlands "Technical variability of the RT3 accelerometer", Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., vol. 35, p.1773 , 2003.
- S. M. Powell and A. V. Rowlands "Intermonitor variability of the RT3 accelerometer during typical physical activities", Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., vol. 36, p.324 , 2004.
- M. S. Treuth "Defining accelerometer thresholds for activity intensities in adolescent girls", Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., vol. 36, p.1259 , 2004.
- ADXL202 Data Sheet, , 2006. [online] Available:
- A. Lai , D. A. James , J. P. Hayes and E. C. Harvey "Semi-automatic calibration technique using six inertial frames of reference", Proc. Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. (Perth, Australia), vol. SPIE 5274, p.531 , 2003.
- A. Wixted , D. James and D. Thiel "Low power operating system and wireless networking for a real time sensor network", Proc. IEEE ICITA, , 2002.
- D. A. James , N. Davey and T. Rice "An accelerometer based sensor platform for insitu elite athlete performance analysis", Proc. IEEE Sensors Conf., p.1373 , 2004.
- P. U. Saunders , R. D. Telford , D. B. Pyne , R. B. Cunningham , C. J. Gore , A. G. Hahn and J. A. Hawley "Improved running economy in elite runners after 20 days of simulated moderate-altitude exposure", J. Appl Physiol. 96, p.931 , 2004.
- S. Brage , N. Wedderkopp , P. W. Franks , L. B. Andersen and K. Froberg "Reexamination of validity and reliability of the CSA monitor in walking and running", Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., vol. 35, p.1447 , 2003.
- A. Wixted , D. V. Thiel , A. Hahn , C. Gore , D. Pyne and D. A. James "Signal processing for estimating energy expenditure of elite athletes using triaxial accelerometers", Proc. IEEE Sensors Conf., p.798 , 2005.